Enterprise Data Warehouse
The first Enterprise Data Warehouse built using the IBM Telecommunications Data Warehouse Data Model”
The client was formed from the merger of a Wellington and an Auckland based company. The two organisations had their own operational systems and distinct corporate reporting approaches. One maintained an operational data store for reporting by replicating key operational systems while the other operated a data warehouse of the operational billing platform.
The client required a cross-functional business driven initiative to fulfill the reporting requirements of Sales & Marketing, Finance and Customer Operations groups. The objective of this reporting solution was:
- To enable the delivery of customer focused information to the business enabling activities like targeted campaigns and more effective marketing
- To deliver a consolidated view of revenue and in the longer term to provide customer & product profitability analysis at a gross margin and contribution level
- To provide information to enable the business to benchmark performance.
Tenzing was engaged to deliver the solution and was responsible for driving the following activities:
- Requirements definition, data sourcing and change management
- Design, build and commissioning of the technical infrastructure to support project, this included the development and production environments. The environments were built around Sun & Oracle products
- Installation and technical configuration of the data warehouse application components. These included Ascential’s DataStage and MetaStage ETL and metadata management tools and MicroStrategy for OLAP reporting
- Implementation of the IBM telecommunications data model and ERwin data modelling tool
- Acceptance and operational testing of the development and production infrastructure, including the management of a 3rd party security review.